See the Pen EdzKvJ by Carlos Raygoza (@zizso421) on CodePen.

November 3, 2018

Understanding and Solving Problems

One of the things I really enjoy doing is figuring out how an end product is put together. For example, how an arcade machine contains buttons, switches, lights, mechanical devices, and whatever else, all inside its shell. Nobody really gets the chance to see inside the various things we use very often and understand how all its parts combine into the final product. In my trade, products often start out as a broad idea, then it turns into a simple block diagram of what functions it needs to do, followed by more block diagrams of how to carry out the functions, until we get to schematics and blueprints which cement the bare minimum of getting these functions working on their own. I try to follow these design principles when I tackle problems at work, so that I don't end up getting off track with my solution or try to solve a problem that's completely unrelated to the situation. First, take note of the obvious: "The machine isn't starting." Cool, now I can move down into what the machine requires to start: "Sensors must be cleared of obstructions, seat belts must be fastened, credit has to be loaded". Now I have a checklist I can quickly run through before I try taking anything apart or attempt the wrong repair. Usually that's how deep I need to go, but occasionally I can find myself surrounded by various components, deep inside a machine trying to solve a very specific problem. It's extremely frustrating at times, but I absolutely enjoy that rush of relief when I solve a problem I spent so much time on. It feels great to be "the guy" your coworkers rely on to solve issues, and I feel like I've chosen the right career path for myself!

10 comments:

  1. You have an engineer's mind and temperament :-) Very happy to hear you chose a career path that suits you well ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you chose the right career path that suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see that you really like figuring things out by yourself. That is so good. I'm glad you enjoy what you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem very mechanically incline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're very passionate about what you do! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That process sounds very interesting! It must be so fulfilling to be able to solve those problems and get something that works in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Troubleshooting skills! Very important skill to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing the passion you have and how you really enjoy what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite interesting to know about.

    ReplyDelete